August 27, 2013

Birch Bench Part 2

Outlined drawing ready for paint.
Sky first. Easy enough, so far, so good.
Shadow mass. Too early to judge.
Already this is not going the way I'd planned. Oh well, keep trying. It's a learning experience.
Building up colour with a pallet knife.

So that was way harder than I thought, but I like the blobby paint effect. I need a smaller pallet knife and a lot more yellow, the colours are wrong. I also need to stop and think about this for a while, like over night. I'm sure once I'm warmed up it'll go better. Though I have a feeling I'll be back to obsessing over the details with a paint brush in no time.

Aarrrhg! Must stay loose!
I thought I was quitting for the day but as predicted I'm already obsessing so I stayed and painted the trees on the right with my pallet knife. I managed to capture a little bit more of what I wanted. And believe it or not I lightened the sky. Acrylic paints dry so much darker than what I expect. I think it could still be lighter. I'm going to have to get used to mixing in a very pastelly way.
So now I'm really quitting for the day. I'm tired, I'm hungry and my hands are dirty, but I'm pleased.