August 26, 2013

Birch Bench

Well, I'm calling this new painting Birch Bench. I thought I'd go for a little harder subject this time, more of a landscape. And I really wanted to experiment with a different style too, a freer, more abstract look. There's a fabulous artist I found recently named Maxim Grunin. If you want to see him paint, check this video out on YouTube. He works with a pallet knife and I'm dying to try it. 

Anyway, I thought these two photos taken in Ft. Langley would make a nice painting.The river was too washed to see it clearly out so I took another shot of just the river and joined the two. 
This is the actual view from the bench the old man is on.
Here's the composition combined into one reference photo. In my finished drawing I've left out the fences and poles.  
 There's something about the old man and his dog sitting alone amongst all the high contrast shadows that I really loved. 
My pallet is a plastic tray from the dollar store. Here's a trick I saw in a book that's really helpful. You fold paper towel lengthwise into thirds, wet it, then lay it out along the sides of your tray to  keep your acrylics wet. Though with my Titanium White I find it easier to use wax paper so I can remove it if I need to. At the end of my painting day I stack two wet sponges in the middle of my tray so they're higher than my paints, then cover the whole thing in saran wrap. Works great for keeping them wet overnight. 
My canvas with my transferred drawing all ready to be outlined. It will be interesting to see if I can stick to a pallet knife style and keep my vision loose. Will be a challenge I'm sure since I'm such a detail lover.