August 22, 2014

My Skagit Valley Adventure

Day 1


I got a week off work so we went to Silvertip Campground for a few days. It was a little cloudy the first day and the mosquitoes were nuts. Here is our new tent. Loved it for mosquito protection. So did Clare, I could hardly get her out of it. She doesn't seem to be a camping dog. 
Oh look! A camping man for me! 
Here she's in hurry to get back inside her homey screened-in front porch. 


Day 2


Had to throw out a bunch of food because we discovered a mouse got into the car and nibbled at our stuff. My morning granola. Oooo, I was so mad. Enjoyed my tea looking up river from our site. 

And here I'm looking down river. Gorgeous! The whole campground was empty except for us and another couple a few sites down. The place was kind of spooky at night though, with worrying about bears and wondering what that singing was we could hear. We couldn't make out the words over the noise of the river and it sounded far away. 
Evening comes and I realized I forgot the binoculars, so I used the zoom on my camera to look way down by those rocks near the top right of the photo. We could see something moving in and out of the water. At first we thought it was fish jumping up to eat the mosquitoes. 
Turns out it was this little bird in the far left of the picture diving around the rocks and right under the water. Looked it up in the bird book but couldn't find what it was. 
Looks a little like a Pigeon to me. 
My photos are grainy because my camera was on zoom and I couldn't keep it still.
While I was hunting for bears across the river, I also photographed a family of Mergansers swimming by. 
At least we think they were. That's what the bird book said, anyway. Not a bear, but it's something.

Day 3


 So it wasn't one mouse after all nibbling our food, it was about a half a dozen of them! David caught them in the act after dark when he opened the car door and the lights went on. There they were sitting on the seats munching away as if they were at a Drive-In movie.  The morning after, he made sure he scared them all away before we took off for the suspension bridge and a little hike to the meadow.
This bridge goes across the river and leads into the woods where an old homestead used to be in the 1800's.  I don't understand why anyone would want to live way out here by themselves in the 1800's. 
Here's a little foot bridge on our way. I was pretty freaked out about wild animals so Clare wore the bear bells. 
Finally, the meadow, and the big Ponderosa Pine that was saved by loggers. No sign of a  homestead. 
David standing in front the lonely pine. 
And a close up of the bark. Looks like a face. Yup, pretty lonely all right. I'd say crying, even. Those are bird holes pecked in the wood. 
After that, we took a drive down to Ross Lake and crossed the border to the American side and entered without a passport! Here's the sign going into the States. The ranger lady did write down our license plate number. Ross Lake looked about the same over there as it does on the Canadian side so we turned around and came back to Canada. 
And here's the other side of the same sign coming back. 
Ross Lake on the Canadian side. Not a great shot of the lake, but I do love that tree with the sky and clouds behind it. I think I'll paint it. 
Here's a better shot of the Canadian side of the lake complete with Canada geese, no less. Now to head back to camp for something to eat. 

Day 4


Glad to see the sun from my tent window this morning since I didn't sleep very well and kept my head under the covers most of the night. The weird singing was louder and clearer than the previous nights and sounding much closer, too. But we still couldn't make out the words. My imagination ran wild. 
Final morning is sunny but cold. Drinking my tea before packing up and here comes a couple of stray Mergansers swimming by. 
I could swear one of them said, "Humph, tourists!"
Time to go. 
Some of the mountain views on the way down. 
I'm not sure, but I think this one was Mount Shawatum that the guide book talked about. 
It was lovely trip and I'll definitely go again. 
After we get back we're taking off for a day trip to Harrison Hot Springs. 
Maybe  we'll see a Sasquatch!